Caviar Pie



This is a smashing hors d'oeuvre that is the hit of any party, and so easy to make! This is the one thing that all my friends ask for when going to an event.

I use a small springform pan, usually a 4" but it can be done in a larger pan. I like it with homemade crostini. For the crostini I use a regular baguette and I brush them with olive oil, no garlic or other spices, and bake it in a slow oven until lightly toasted.

The Caviar Pie should be made at least a few hours in advance, and I add the caviar at the last minute, usually at the venue where I am serving it.

Bottom layer:
3 large hard boiled eggs
Dollop of mayonaise
Make an egg salad that is fairly firm so it will hold its shape, Don't add salt, the caviar provides all the necessary salt. I put it in a Cuisinart to get the smoothest egg salad possible.
Spread the egg salad in the bottom of the springform pan, it should be about half full.

Middle layer:
Finely chopped scallions
Be sure they go to the edge of the pan so that when the form is removed they show a lovely green layer

Top Layer:
6 oz of cream cheese
Small dollop of sour cream
Be very careful not to use too much sour cream, it should be able to retain its firmness at room temperature. Whip the Cream cheese and sour cream together and spread it on top, it should fill the springform pan to the top. I whip it in a Cuisinart

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a few hours, or overnight.

Caviar Topping
You can use whatever caviar you like, except tobiko, which is a bit dry. I use the generic lumpfish black caviar that I can get at most grocers.


Pin It

Comments

Popular Posts